LAP-BAND® Candidacy: Treating More Patients through LifeBand®
LAP-BAND® is a minimally invasive bariatric surgery that can help overweight patients achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Insurance coverage of this procedure is traditionally available only to patients who are severely overweight. LifeBand® is a new approach created to help patients who can benefit from LAP-BAND® surgery undergo treatment even if they do not quality for insurance coverage. Through LifeBand®, patients receive affordable expert care and counseling, and undergo surgery in the private surgical center of Dr. David Passaretti. We can determine your LAP-BAND® candidacy during a consultation at our Fairfield County practice. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
What Determines LAP-BAND® Candidacy?
While LAP-BAND® has helped many to lose weight, it is not right for everyone. Before recommending bariatric surgery, your doctor will evaluate your candidacy. You may be a good candidate for the LifeBand® approach to LAP-BAND® treatment if:
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have tried to lose weight through diet and exercise, but are unable to maintain substantial or long-term results.
- You are not morbidly obese. The best LifeBand® candidates are those who need to lose about 30 to 100 pounds to achieve a healthy weight.
- You are committed to making healthy lifestyle changes. LifeBand® is highly effective and can help you to lose a significant amount of weight. However, for your safety and success, you must adhere to a restricted diet, and exercise regularly.
- You are not pregnant. Although you should not undergo gastric banding while pregnant, it is still possible to have a healthy pregnancy following the procedure.
- You are free from certain diseases including pancreatitis and cirrhosis, inflammation of your gastrointestinal tract, and other conditions that could compromise your digestive health. Your surgeon will further discuss any conditions that could interfere with your candidacy.
- You are not addicted to - and do not excessively consume - drugs or alcohol.
- You are able to undergo surgery and receive general anesthesia.
LifeBand®: Placing the Care You Need within Your Reach
Insurance coverage for LAP-BAND® and other bariatric surgery typically begins at a 40 BMI and up, with some patients between 30 and 40 BMI qualifying if they also have serious weight-related health risks. Insurance companies usually also require that a patient demonstrate a percentage of weight loss before surgery will be covered. Patients who fail to meet these requirements are often denied coverage. If you are denied insurance coverage, the cost of LAP-BAND® can reach $15,000 or more.
LifeBand® is intended primarily for patients who fall short of these insurance requirements. Patients with a BMI of 30 to 40 who need to lose 30 to 100 pounds may be candidates for this procedure. LifeBand® is more affordable for patients paying out-of-pocket. It starts at $10,999 for the surgery.
Contact Our Office Today to Learn More
Our gastric banding specialists will help determine if LAP-BAND® and the LifeBand® experience are right for you. Call our office today to learn more about LifeBand®.